This irresistible chocolate pudding pie is filled with a rich and silky pudding over a chocolate cookie crust. It’s topped with billowy clouds of whipped cream and sprinkled with chocolate shavings.
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) chocolate cookie or graham wafer crumbs
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 1/2 cups (625 mL) milk
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) finely chopped bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, about 3 oz (90 g)
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) 35% cream
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) granulated sugar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
- coarsely grated chocolate, (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan set over medium-low heat.
- Remove from heat; stir in crumbs. Turn into a 9-inch (23 cm) shallow glass pie plate. Press evenly up sides and on bottom of pie plate.
- Bake for 8 min in centre of preheated oven until set.
- In a medium saucepan, whisk cocoa with sugar, cornstarch and salt. Whisk in egg as best as you can; add milk. Continue to whisk until smooth and no lumps remain.
- Set over medium heat. Stirring continuously, bring to a boil, about 3 to 5 min. Filling will thicken and bubble.
- Reduce heat to low; simmer gently and stir for 1 min. Add chocolate and butter. Stir until melted. Stir in vanilla.
- Turn into slightly cooled pie shell. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until cold and set.
- Beat cream with sugar and vanilla until stiff peaks form. Spoon onto chilled pie. Swirl.
- Grate chocolate over top if using. Refrigerate until ready to eat. Best eaten within a day of making.
If you don’t want a “skin” to form on the chocolate filling, press a piece of plastic wrap directly on surface of filling while it chills
For a fancier version of this pie, use a 9-inch (23 cm) tart shell. Garnish with gooseberries, cherries and chocolate curls.
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chocolate pudding recipe, chocolate pudding pie, chocolate cream pie