These cookies are soft and chewy, packed with chocolate and the fresh taste of peppermint, and topped with crunchy candy pieces.
- 1 cup (227g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup(200g) granulated sugar
- 1 cup (200g) lightly packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- 2 cups (250g) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (75g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup white chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup crushed candy canes
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line 2-3 baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, toss together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar until combined. Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Then mix in the vanilla extract and peppermint extract.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients, stir until just combined, and fold in the semi-sweet chocolate chips.
- Using a medium cookie scoop or tablespoon, drop the cookie dough 2″ apart onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until the edges are set. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Melt the white chocolate chips in the microwave at 50% power, 30 seconds at a time, stirring in between, until completely smooth.
- Top each cookie with a drizzle of white chocolate and a generous sprinkle of crushed candy canes.
Leftover cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
To freeze – Place the cookies in a freezer-friendly container with sheets of wax paper in between each layer and store in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight on the counter.
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Chocolate peppermint cookies