Moist and rich chocolate cupcake with a cool mint chocolate chip buttercream.
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder (I used Dutch-processed)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup buttermilk**
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
Ingredients for buttercream:
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 cups icing sugar
- 2–3 tbsp cream or milk
- 1–2 tsp mint or peppermint extract, depending on your taste (I used 2 tsp)
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips plus extra to sprinkle
- green food coloring (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line 2 muffin pans with 16 cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk all the dry ingredients together until evenly mixed.
- Add in all wet ingredients and whisk together. Then using a rubber spatula, scrap down the sides and bottom of the bowl to make sure no dry flour remains and whisk again, vigorously for another minute or two until smooth.
- Fill each liner 2/3’s full and bake for about 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
To make the buttercream:
- Using a handheld mixer or stand mixer with a paddle attachment, beat butter until light and fluffy.
- Add 2 tbsp of cream, extract, and 1 cup of icing sugar. Beat well and add remaining cups of icing sugar, one at a time. Beat well after each addition. Add another tbsp of cream if needed to get desired consistency.
- Add the green food coloring, a few drops at a time until you get your desired color (I used 10 drops)
- Stir in chocolate chips, frost on top of completely cooled cupcakes.
If you want to pipe your frosting, make sure you use a large enough tip like a Wilton 8B or 1A
**You can store the rest of the buttermilk in the freezer in small plastic containers and when ready to use for another recipe, simply thaw and stir. Alternatively, you can make your own buttermilk by adding 1 tbsp of white vinegar to a liquid measuring cup, then add enough milk (1% or higher) to make one cup. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: mint chocolate chip cupcake recipe, mint chocolate chip buttercream, chocolate cupcake recipe