This delicious and decadent tart is made with an Oreo cookie crust and mascarpone cream filling. It’s topped with a luscious chocolate ganache and a sprinkle of flaky sea salt crystals.
- 2 cups (225g) Oreo cookie crumbs
- 6 tbsp melted unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup cold whipping cream
- 250 grams mascarpone cheese, softened (see notes for substitutions)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 8 oz dark chocolate chips (or semi-sweet)
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1–2 tsp sea salt flakes
- Mix the cookie crumbs with the melted butter and press onto the bottom and sides of a 9″ tart pan with a removable bottom. Chill in freezer.
- Using a handheld mixer, whip the whipping cream till soft peaks form, set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the mascarpone cheese, sugar, and vanilla until combined. Add in the whipped cream and blend until smooth. Spoon the mixture onto the chilled crust and spread it out evenly. Place back in the freezer for at least 1 hour.
- To make the ganache, place the whipping cream in a small saucepan. Constantly stirring, bring to a gentle simmer over medium heat. Immediately pour over the chocolate chips. Cover and let steep for 5 minutes. Whisk until smooth and pour over the frozen tart. Carefully spread to the edges if needed.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour or until ready to serve. Leave uncovered for the 1st hour to prevent condensation on the surface. Sprinkle with salt just before serving. Best served cold.
Leftovers can be covered and stored in the fridge for 3-5 days.
- Mascarpone – I’ve read online that you can make your own for only $2 compared to $8 from the supermarket. If you’re interested, check out the how-to from Pastry Affair. It seems pretty easy. You can also substitute the mascarpone with cream cheese in this recipe.
- Dark chocolate – Can be replaced with semi-sweet chocolate if that’s what you have on hand.
How to freeze:
Tightly double wrap in saran wrap and a layer of aluminum foil or place in a freezer-friendly container and store in the freezer for up to a month. You can freeze the whole tart or any leftovers. I normally will cut the remaining tart into individual slices and place them slightly spaced apart in a freezer-safe plastic container and freeze for a later date. Thaw overnight in the fridge and sprinkle with salt before serving.
- Category: dessert
- Method: no-bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chocolate mascarpone tart recipe, no-bake cream tart, oreo cookie crust, mascarpone cream filling, chocolate ganache recipe