Chocolate Dipped Rice Krispies Treats
These are the original Rice Krispies squares we all know and love, but made extra special dipped in chocolate and topped with sprinkles!
- Author: Lily Ernst
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Total Time: 30 min
- Yield: makes 24 squares
- Category: dessert
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- 3 tbsp (43g) butter
- 4 cups (284g) mini marshmallows
- 6 cups (200g) rice krispies cereal
- 1 pkg (270g-300g) semi-sweet or milk chocolate chips
- sprinkles for decorating
- Line and butter a 9×13″ pan with wax paper. Set aside.
- In a large pot, melt the butter over low heat. Add the marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat.
- Stir in the cereal until well coated. Using a buttered spatula, evenly press the mixture onto the prepared pan. Let cool and cut into 2×2″ squares.
- Melt the chocolate over a double boiler. Dip each square into the melted chocolate. Smooth the surface if needed and top with sprinkles. Let stand until the chocolate hardens and enjoy.
Leftovers can be stacked in an airtight container lined with sheets of wax paper in between each layer to prevent them from stickinand stored at room temperature for up to 3 days.
You can also freeze them for up to 6 weeks. When ready to serve, let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes or until thawed.
- Use fresh marshmallows because they melt easier and are soft and gooey, which is ideal for Rice Krispies squares. Old marshmallows get dry and melt into a big glob which also makes them hard to mix into the cereal.
- Melt the butter and marshmallows over low heat to avoid burning the mixture. It will take a few more minutes, but it will also prevent the Rice Krispies squares from getting hard and you’ll end up with soft and chewy treats.
- Butter the pan to keep the wax paper in place and butter the spatula to prevent the treats from sticking to the spatula when you are pressing the mixture evenly into the pan.
- Use a large sharp kitchen knife for nice clean-cut squares.
Keywords: chocolate dipped rice krispies treats, chocolate covered rice krispies treats