This is the best homemade cherry pie filling topped with a buttery brown sugar crumble and wrapped in a flaky pie crust.
- 24–28oz jar sour pitted cherries in light syrup (see notes for fresh or frozen cherries)
- 5–6 tbsp (42-50g) cornstarch (use 5 tbsp for 24oz jar of cherries and 6 tbsp for 28 oz jar)
- 1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1/2 cup (45g) rolled oats
- 1/2 cup (64g) all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup (70g) packed brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 4 tbsp (90ml) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 cups (256g) all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp (2.5g) salt
- ½ cup (125ml) vegetable oil
- ¼ cup (62ml) milk (any kind)
Prepare the filling:
- Drain the syrup from the jar of cherries into a medium saucepan. Whisk in the cornstarch and sugar.
- On the stovetop over medium-high heat, bring to a simmer, whisking constantly until the mixture thickens. Add in the cherries and continue to cook until the filling thickens again.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla and almond extract. Set aside to cool while preparing the crumble and pie crust.
- Preheat oven to 425F and arrange a rack in the lower third of the oven. Set aside a 9″ pie plate.
Prepare the crumble:
- In a medium bowl, mix together the rolled oats, flour, brown sugar and cinnamon (breaking apart any clumps of brown sugar). Add in the melted butter and mix again until everything is moistened. Set aside.
Prepare the crust:
- Sift the flour twice, then whisk in the salt and create a well in the center.
- Pour in the oil, then milk and stir everything together. If the dough seems too dry, add 1-2 tbsp of milk.
- Once the dough starts to form, finish working it by gently kneading it on a sheet of wax paper.
- Roll the dough out between 2 sheets of wax paper to about 11-12″ in diameter. It should overhang your pie plate about 1 cm.
- Fit the dough onto your pie plate. Fold the excess pastry underneath and crimp the edges.
- Pour the pie filling into the pie crust and sprinkle the crumb topping evenly on top.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 425F, then turn down the heat to 375F and continue to bake for another 30 minutes. Loosely cover with foil during the last 15 minutes to prevent the edges of the crust from over browning.
For fresh or frozen cherries:
4 cups pitted cherries
2 tbsp water
4-6 tbsp cornstarch (depending on how much juice was released)
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract
Place cherries and water in a medium saucepan and place over medium heat. Cover. After the cherries lose considerable juice, which may take a few minutes, remove from heat. In a small bowl, mix the sugar and cornstarch together. Pour this mixture into the hot cherries and mix well. Return the mixture to the stove and cook over low heat until thickened, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla and almond extract. Set aside to cool while preparing the rest of the pie.
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: cherry pie recipe, cherry crumble pie recipe, sour cherry pie, cherry pie filling