This classic cherry clafoutis is packed with morsels of sweet, juicy cherries baked in a delightfully dense custard.
- butter to grease the baking dish
- 2 cups pitted sweet or sour cherries, cut in half
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup granulated sugar (1/4 cup for sweet cherries, 1/2 cup for sour)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 ts almond extract
- 1/2 cup (63g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup (250ml) milk of choice
- powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350F and generously butter a 9″ pie dish.
- Spread the cherries out in a single layer in the prepared dish and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, eggs, and extracts until combined.
- Next whisk in the flour and salt until smooth.
- Then lastly whisk in the buttermilk. Pour the batter over the cherries.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes or until it’s golden around the edges and the custard is just set.
- Dust with powdered sugar before serving. Best served while still warm from the oven or at room temperature.
Leftovers can be covered and stored in the fridge for up to 3 days. Please note that once it’s been chilled the custard firms up quite a bit.
Keywords: cherry clafoutis recipe