These beautiful cupcakes are rich, moist and full of champagne flavor. They are topped with a luscious champagne buttercream.
For the cupcakes
- 1 1/4 cups (156g) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 stick (85g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 whole egg plus 1 egg white, room temperature
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (125ml) champagne
For the frosting
- 1 cup (250ml) champagne
- 1/2 cup (114g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups (250g) powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- gold sprinkles or any kind of sparkling sugar
- Preheat an oven to 350F. Line a standard 12-cup muffin pan with paper or foil liners.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat together the sugar and butter on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Reduce the speed to low, add the egg and egg white one at a time, beating well after each addition, then beat in the vanilla.
- Add the flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with the champagne in 2 additions, beating until just combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed and be careful not to over beat.
- Divide the batter evenly among the prepared muffin cups, filling each about three-fourths full (you should get about 11-12 cupcakes).
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- While the cupcakes are baking; in a small saucepan, bring the champagne to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce to medium and allow to simmer until it reduces down to about 1/4 cup (about 8-10 minutes). Reserve 2 tablespoons of the reduction for the frosting, and use the rest to brush on top of the warm cupcakes. I brushed each cupcake twice with the reduction and discarded the leftover. Let cupcakes cool completely before frosting.
- In large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the butter, powdered sugar, vanilla and 2 tablespoon of the champagne reduction until smooth. Frost as desired and sprinkle with sparking sugar.
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: champagne cupcake recipe, champagne cupcakes, champagne buttercream recipe, New Year's Eve dessert