This classic buttermilk pie is sweet, tangy and creamy with a hint of nutmeg. It only takes 10 minutes to prepare and is guaranteed to be a hit!
- 1/2 cup (114g) unsalted butter, softened
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups (300g) granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup (250ml) store-bought buttermilk (see notes*)
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 single 9″ pie crust (store-bought or homemade)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter, flour, sugar, and salt until combined.
- Beat in the eggs. Then mix in the buttermilk, vanilla, and salt until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into your unbaked pie crust and bake for 45-55 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool completely before slicing and serving.
*Store-bougth buttermilk is preferred with this recipe because it is thicker. Homemade buttermilk takes longer to bake and doesn’t set as well.
Leftover pie can be stored in an airtight container or tightly wrapped in saran wrap and refrigerated for 3-4 days.
Got leftover buttermilk? See above in the post on what you can do with all your leftover buttermilk so you don’t feel pressured to use it before it expires.
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: buttermilk pie recipe, easy buttermilk pie, Southern buttermilk pie