Make breakfast a breeze with these easy-to-prepare breakfast hand pies filled with Canadian eggs, ham and cheese, all wrapped up in a flaky puff pastry shell.
- 2 sheets puff pastry, thawed as instructed on package
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 cup (150g) ham, diced small
- 5 large eggs, whisked
- 1 tbsp chives, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 cup (85g) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp water
- Preheat oven to 375F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large frying pan over medium heat, saute the ham with the cooking oil until lighty browned.
- Add in the whisked eggs and soft scramble. Remove from heat and stir in the chives if using. Place in fridge to cool while preparing the pastry crust.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the first pastry sheet to about 12×12″. Trim the edges and cut into four 6×6″ squares. Repeat with the second sheet.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and tablespoon of water to make the egg wash.
- Spoon and divide the filling among the eight squares. Brush the edges with egg wash. Fold over and seal the edges with a fork. Cut a small x in each pie for ventilation and brush the surface with egg wash.
- Transfer the pies onto the prepared baking sheets (four on a sheet). Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown. Serve warm.
Leftovers can be stored in the fridge in an airtight container for 2-3 days.
Make ahead tips:
1)You can make the filling one day in advance. Then assemble and bake as instructed when ready to serve.
2)You can prepare and bake the day before. Let cool and store in the fridge. Then reheat in the oven or toaster oven at 300F for 5-10 minutes until crisp and warm in the center.
3)To freeze: bake and cool completely. Tightly wrap each pie in saran wrap and place in a plastic ziplock bag. Store in freezer for up to a month. Thaw overnight in the fridge and follow tip number 2 above to reheat.
- Category: breakfast
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: Canadian, American
Keywords: breakfast hand pies, savory hand pies, breakfast turnovers