Soft, chewy and fudgy with a kick of molasses flavour – these homemade bear paws are even better than the store-bought brand.
- 3 cups (375g) all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup (25g) unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup (114g) unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup (100g) granulated sugar
- ¾ cup (180ml) Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup (60ml) hot water
- 2 tsp baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350F and line 2-3 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, ginger, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in the egg, then molasses and vanilla until combined.
- Stir the hot water and baking soda together in a liquid measuring cup. Add to the wet ingredients and mix to incorporate.
- Slowly stir in the dry ingredients until just combined.
- Transfer the batter to a piping bag and cut 1” off the tip to make a large opening. On the prepared cookie sheets, pipe one large dollop for the palm and 4 small dollops for the toes. Use your finger to lightly press down any tips that form. Space each bear paw 2” apart.
- Bake for 9-10 minutes until puffed up and set. Let cool on the cookie sheets for 5-10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
Cookies can be stored in an airtight container with sheets of wax paper in between each layer to prevent the cookies from sticking. They will keep at room temperature for up to 5 days.
To Freeze – Place the cookies on a cookie sheet and freeze for an hour until frozen solid. Transfer the frozen cookies into a large heavy-duty ziplock bag and store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: bear paw cookie recipe, chocolate molasses cookies