Best Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
These banana chocolate chip muffins are moist, flavorful and not too sweet. They make for a great everyday breakfast or snack and take only 10 minutes to make!
- Author: Lily Ernst
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 12
- Category: breakfast, snack
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
- 1&3/4 cups (220g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (100g) sugar
- 1 tsp (5ml) ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp (5ml) baking soda
- 1/2 tsp (2.5ml) salt
- 1 cup (240g) overripe mashed bananas (about 3 medium)
- 1/2 cup (125ml) vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup (60g) plain yogurt
- 1 tsp (5ml) vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (95g) mini chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350F and line a 12 cup muffin pan with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Toss in the chocolate chips and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the mashed bananas, oil, eggs, yogurt and vanilla extract.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Divide the batter amongst the 12 muffin cups. Sprinkle a few more chocolate chips on top if desired.
- Bake for 20-23 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
The muffins last for 2-3 days stored in an airtight container at room temperature or up to 5 days stored in the fridge.
- Use overripe bananas. Because there is not a lot of sugar in this recipe, use overripe bananas for the most flavorful and naturally sweet muffins.
- Use mini chocolate chips. Again, because there are not a lot of chocolate chips in this recipe, use mini chocolate chips for better dispersion so there is chocolate in every bite.
- Can you freeze banana chocolate chip muffins? Yes, simply place in a freezer-safe container or ziplock bag and store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- What can you substitute for yogurt? You can substitute the yogurt with sour cream, milk or even mayonnaise.
- Can you substitute all-purpose flour for whole wheat flour? Yes, you can substitute half of the all-purpose flour with whole wheat flour if you want to make these muffins a little healthier.
Keywords: banana chocolate chip muffin recipe, banana chocolate chip muffin with oil, banana chocolate chip muffin with yogurt