Banana Chocolate Chip Cake with Milk Chocolate Buttercream
A deliciously moist, and fragrant spiced banana chocolate chip cake, surrounded with a rich chocolate frosting made with real milk chocolate.
- Author: Lily Ernst
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 40 min
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 12-16
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Ingredients for cake:
- 2 & 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1& 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 cups mashed overripe bananas (about 4 large)
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
Ingredients for buttercream:
- 1 pound milk chocolate chips
- 2 cups unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350F. Butter and flour two 8 inch round pans.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- Using an electric handheld or stand mixer, beat the butter and sugar together in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla and eggs, one at a time, mixing in between.
- Add half of the flour mixture, beat on low speed, then add the sour cream and bananas, mix again. Add the remaining flour mixture, beat until just combined and stir in chocolate chips.
- Divide the batter among the 2 prepared pans. Bake for 40 minutes or until the cakes are golden brown and pull away from the edges. Let cool completely and chill in refrigerator until ready to frost.
To make the buttercream:
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler and let cool to touch.
- Beat together butter, sugar and salt until pale and fluffy. Slowly beat in melted chocolate, then sour cream, and beat until smooth. Frosting can simply be spread on top and around the cake or piped on, if you want to get fancy.
Keywords: banana chocolate chip cake recipe, banana layer cake recipe, milk chocolate buttercream