This decadent banana cake is supremely moist and loaded with banana flavor. It’s easy to make and topped with a sweet-tangy cream cheese frosting.
- 2 cups (250g) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp (5ml) baking soda
- 1/2 tsp (2.5ml) salt
- 1 1/3 cups (265g) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (57g) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup (250g) sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups (365g) mashed overripe bananas (about 3 large)
- 2 tsp (10ml) vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (114g) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 block (250g) cream cheese, softened
- 3 cups (375g) powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 tsp (5ml) vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp (1.25ml) salt
- chopped walnuts
- chocolate shavings
- banana slices
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease a 9×13″ baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, toss together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Using a stand mixer with paddle attachment or electric mixer, cream together the sugar and butter until combined. Mix in the sour cream, then eggs, one at a time, mixing in between.
- Mix in the mashed bananas and vanilla extract. Then slowly stir in the flour mixture until just combined. Spoon the batter into the prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the center comes out clean. Let cool completely before frosting.
- Using a stand mixer with paddle attachment or electric mixer, beat the butter and cream cheese until combined.
- Mix in the powdered sugar one cup at a time, scraping the bottom of the bowl occasionally. Then mix in the vanilla and salt until smooth.
- Spread on cake, and top with chopped walnuts, chocolate shavings or banana slices (just before serving) if desired.
Leftovers can be covered up and stored in the fridge for up to 5 days.
To freeze – Tightly wrap in saran wrap, then in foil, label with date, and store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: banana cake, cream cheese frosting