These soft and fluffy cupcakes are enriched with a lovely coffee taste and spiked with an Irish cream whiskey buttercream.
- ½ cup (125ml) vegetable oil
- 1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
- 2 tsp (10ml) vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tbsp(12g) instant coffee
- 1 tbsp (15ml) warm water
- ½ cup (125g) sour cream
- 1 tsp (4g) baking powder
- ½ tsp (3g) baking soda
- ¼ tsp (1g) salt
- 1 + ½ cups (188g) all-purpose flour
For the buttercream
- 1 cup (227g) unsalted butter, softened
- 4 tbsp (60ml) Baileys Irish Cream liqueur
- 3 cups (375g) powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F and line 2 muffin pans with 14 paper liners.
- In a large bowl, mix together the vegetable oil and sugar with an electric mixer.
- Add in the vanilla and eggs. Beat on medium speed until the eggs become pale. (about 1 minute)
- In a small bowl, dissolve the instant coffee in the warm water. Add to the wet mixture along with the sour cream. Mix until blended.
- Add in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir on low speed until just combined. The batter won’t be super thick. Divide the batter amongst the 14 paper liners.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool completely before frosting.
To make the buttercream:
- Beat the butter until light and fluffy. Mix in 1 cup of powdered sugar, then mix in the Baileys. Add in the rest of the powdered sugar, one cup at a time, mix until blended. Frost as desired. I used a Wilton 1M tip to apply my frosting.
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: coffee cupcake recipe, baileys irish cream cupcakes, coffee flavored cupcakes