Apple Oatmeal Whoopie Pies with Peanut Butter Frosting
These whoopie pies are made with a creamy, sweet and salty peanut butter frosting sandwiched between two soft and chewy apple oatmeal cookies.
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: one dozen whoopie pies 1x
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
- 1&1/2 cups (165g) whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 cups (180g) quick oats
- 1 tsp (5g) baking soda
- 2 tsp (5g) ground cinnamon
- 4 tbsp (60ml) melted butter
- 1/2 cup (100g) lightly packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup (125ml) maple syrup (or honey)
- 2 tsp (10ml) vanilla extract
- 1&1/2 cups (175g) apples, diced small (about 1 large apple)
- 1/2 cup (135g) smooth peanut butter
- 1 cup (125g) powdered sugar
- 2–4 tbsp milk or cream
- Preheat oven to 325F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mat.
- In a large bowl, toss together the quick oats, flour, baking soda and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the melted butter, brown sugar, eggs, maple syrup and vanilla.
- Add the wet into the dry ingredients and mix together until just combined. Fold in the diced apples.
- Using a medium cookie scoop or tablespoons, drop rounded cookie batter about 2″ apart onto prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the edges are golden brown. Let cookies cool completely before filling.
To make the filling:
- Using an electric mixer, combine the peanut butter and powdered sugar. Add the milk or cream, 1 tablespoon at a time until you have a spreadable consistency.
The cookies are best enjoyed the day of. Due to the natural juices from the apples, the cookies tend to get moist the day after.
Keywords: apple oatmeal cookie recipe, peanut butter frosting recipe, apple whoopie pies