These scrumptious amaretti cookies are crispy on the outside and irresistibly soft and chewy on the inside.
- 2 cups (200g) almond flour
- 1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar (lemon juice or white vinegar works too)
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 300F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the almond flour, granulated sugar, and salt. Set aside.
- In another large bowl, beat the egg whites until foamy. Add in the cream of tartar and almond extract. Continue beating the mixture until medium-stiff peaks.
- Stir in your dry ingredients until combined. Scoop out the cookie dough and roll into 1″ balls.
- Roll the balls in powdered sugar until well coated. Place 1″ apart onto the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the tops are cracked and the bottoms just start to brown. Let cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheets and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Leftover cookies can be stored in an airtight container or bag for up to 5 days at room temperature.
To Freeze – Place the completely cooled cookies in a freezer-friendly container or ziplock bag and store them in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw on the counter for 3-5 hours or overnight to bring to room temperature before serving.
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: amaretti cookie recipe, soft amaretti cookies