This is a moist, flavorful, and naturally sweet chocolate banana bread made with whole wheat flour, coconut oil, Greek yogurt, and honey. It is totally healthy and absolutely delicious!
You won’t believe this amazing chocolate banana bread is only made with healthy ingredients, yet is tastes like a chocolate cake. My toddler actually refers to it as chocolate cake, and trust me he is the world’s pickiest eater and is pretty blunt when it comes to his opinions about food.
The bread is made with whole wheat flour instead of white. I used coconut oil instead of butter, and I sweetened it with honey instead of granulated sugar. These are all much healthier alternatives to the traditional ingredients. There is also Greek yogurt in the recipe, for added moisture and protein.
The texture is soft and fluffy, almost cake-like. The taste is sweet, but not too sweet, and it’s fruity and chocolatey. It’s great for breakfast, as a snack or packed in school lunches as a healthy treat. It’s also a great way to use up over-ripe bananas because we all have those. Why is that?
Anyway, if you are looking for a tasty treat that you can feel good about, then look no further, this is it!
- 1 & ½ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 4 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 1 cup mashed over-ripe bananas (about 2 large)
- 1 egg
- ½ cup greek yogurt
- ½ cup honey
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease a 9x5" glass baking pan.
- In a large bowl, toss together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the melted coconut oil with the mashed bananas. Then add the egg, greek yogurt, honey and vanilla, mix well. Slowly add to the dry ingredients and stir together until just combined.
- Spoon into prepared glass baking pan and bake to 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Recipe by Little Sweet Baker