Soft and chewy, with crunchy m&m’s, creamy white chocolate, and quinoa flakes – all in a cookie!
What I love about this m&m cookie recipe is that they are ultra soft and chewy, and they stay like that for days. The crunchy candy coating of the m&m’s creates a nice contrast to the softness of these cookies. The creamy white chocolate compliments the milk chocolate flavored center of the m&m’s, and the quinoa flakes, well that’s just icing on the cake. Besides being nutritionally packed, the quinoa flakes also gives these cookies a very mild nutty taste, and subtle oatmeal-like texture. This recipe is also very versatile, if m&m’s and white chocolate aren’t your thing, you can use 1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips instead or 1 cup butterscotch chips and 1/2 cup pecans. Add in whatever you fancy, the possibilities are endless.
I saw these pastel colour m&m’s at Target and I couldn’t resist. I thought they were so pretty and perfect for spring, even though it doesn’t feel quite like spring yet here in Ontario. I am anxiously waiting for the warmer weather to arrive, I think we all are. It has been a long winter, but I know spring weather is just around the corner.
This recipe does require chilling, but it is worth the wait, I promise. I form my cookie dough using a medium cookie scoop. If you don’t have one, I highly recommend it. All your cookies will bake up nice, round, even and consistent every time. I place my rounded cookie dough on a plastic tray lined with wax paper. The tray fits into a plastic container with a lid, but any large tray or container that fits in your fridge will work. With or without a lid, you can simply cover with saran wrap and refrigerate.
These m&m cookies are also easy for kids to help with. There is no mixer required, just two bowls, a whisk, a wooden or rubber spatula and you are good to go. Now the m&m’s may crack in the oven, so what I do is set aside a handful of m&m’s to top each cookie once they’re baked and still warm. It also makes for extra pretty cookies when you see the beautiful coloured candies on top.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup quinoa flakes (or quick oats)
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- ¾ cup lightly packed brown sugar
- ½ cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup m&m's
- ½ cup white chocolate chips (minis or reg)
- Melt butter in the microwave in a medium glass bowl for about 20-30 seconds, just until melted but not hot. Let cool for about a minute.
- Meanwhile in a large bowl, whisk together the flour, quinoa flakes, baking soda and salt.
- Whisk the melted butter with the sugars until there are no lumps. Add the eggs and vanilla, whisk again until evenly mixed.
- Pour the wet ingredient into the dry ingredients and using a rubber/wooden spatula, mix until incorporated.
- Fold in the ½ cup of white chocolate chips and about ¾ cup of the m&m's
- Using a medium cookie scoop or 2 tablespoons, drop rounded cookie mounds onto a tray, cover and refrigerate for 2-24hours.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 325°F, place cookie doughs on a cookie sheet lined with parchment or silicone baking mat. Bake for about 10 minutes or just until the edges start to brown.
- Gently press in a few more m&m's on each cookie. Cool on baking sheet for 10 minutes before transferring to cooling rack.